About Cosmic Spin
Cosmic Spin is the retro-modern and psychedelic-hipster sound of
Bara Waters & Robert Cassard
"Creative, tight arrangements, great harmonies, guitar and layers of pre-recorded magic... Fresh and unexpected takes on real classics." — Camden Hicks
Bara and Robert have been musicians since their childhood in Michigan. At 19, Cassard released his first solo LP, Over the Line, and performed as an opening act for top artists touring the Midwest.
As a songwriting and music production duo, they became part of the burgeoning Los Angeles indie music scene in the 1990s. They released the critically acclaimed CD Get This (along with other artists' LPs) on their independent label, Pentacle Records.
After moving to Laguna Beach, Bara and Robert founded and ran a music video production company for 10 years. In 2006, they started the Under the Rock concert series, sharing the stage with many of the indie artists they had worked with in L.A. Their band Soulfolk continued to perform all over Southern California.
In 2010, they migrated north to the San Francisco Bay Area and evolved into Cosmic Spin, bringing their crowd-pleasing live show to many Bay Area venues. Their first studio EP, Gilding Lilies, was released in August 2019, and their cover of Neil Young's After the Goldrush reached #1 on the Apple iTunes UK Alternative Folk chart.
Since then, Cosmic Spin has released three singles, including an Alt-Country cover of Springsteen's Tougher Than The Rest (2/20), an updated cover of the Zombies' Time of the Season, (7/21), and the original ballad Messenger, which also reached #1 on the iTunes UK Alternative Folk chart.
Cassard also hosts a popular music-themed YouTube channel. His video series and website GuitarDiscoveries.com often feature behind-the-scenes looks at Cosmic Spin's recording and production processes.
“People are so impressed that a duo can put out such a gorgeously full sound. Cosmic Spin creates the perfect atmosphere for everyone to share a wide-ranging musical experience. We get rave reviews when they play.” — Rosenblum Cellars, Oakland
Events and venues Cosmic Spin has enlivened over the years:
- Silo's of Napa
- Harvest Wines - Sonoma
- Rosenblum Cellars - Oakland
- Oakland City Center - Summer Concert Series
- Oakland Yacht Club
- Seawolf Public House - Oakland
- Dashe Cellars - Alameda
- 1400 Bar & Grill - Alameda
- The O Club - Alameda
- The Karousel - Alameda
- Pelican Hill Resort - Newport Beach
- The Montage Resort - Laguna Beach
- The Ranch at Laguna Beach
- Lumberyard - Laguna Beach
- The Marine Room - Laguna Beach
- Tivoli Terrace & Tivoli Too - Laguna Beach
- Seven Degrees Art Gallery - Laguna Beach
- Sapphire Grill - Laguna Beach
- Summer Music Series - Laguna Beach
- Art Walk - Laguna Beach
- "Taste of Laguna"
- Historic Moss Point Estate
- Bridge Hall Community Center - Laguna Beach
- Coto de Caza Country Club - Orange County
- Orange County Democratic Headquarters
- San Onofre State Beach Surf & Music Festival
- Facebook Live Global Feed
- Private Events and Parties
Cosmic Spin has supported community events and non-profit organizations including:
- The Bay Area Women's Initiative
- Creative Community Education Foundation
- Alameda Community Learning Center
- Community Learning Center Schools
- Alameda Unified School District
- Franklin School
- Obama Inaugural Celebration
- Come Together for Nepal
- Green Valentine's Day
- Earth Day Eco-Fest
- Laguna Beach Art Walk
- Taste of Laguna
- Wine, Salmon & Song
- Pachamama Benefit
- Mustard Seed Ranch
Laguna Beach SchoolPower
Bookers: Cosmic Spin travels as a self-contained unit with a full-range sound system perfect for intimate and mid-sized venues. Or they can provide a pre-mixed stereo feed directly into any event sound system.